By Secretary of Air Force Public Affairs
/ Posted on May 24, 2022
The image that Guardians present in uniform is a symbol of the service’s identity and culture, and Guardians at all levels have helped define these updates to ensure that all uniforms and accessories accurately represent the service. Excellence and Legacy of US Space Force Service Members.
“Guardians have been waiting a long time for this policy to drop, and I couldn’t be happier to get it out there and start putting this stuff on the shelves,” the chief master sergeant said. of the Roger A. Towberman Space Force. “I appreciate their connection, which brought us these ideas, and the character they showed in patiently waiting for us to work through the political process. It’s time to space it out!
SPFGM2022-36-01 Space Force Guidance Memorandum Establishing US Space Force (USSF) Dress and Appearance Standards specifies all updates.
New uniform items are additions Guardians can choose to wear on the interim duty uniform, and updates to the grooming and uniform policy are the results of the department’s first uniform council held in 2021. These items will further identify members as Guardians as they continue to wear the Interim Service Uniform until the new Space Force Service Uniform is available.
New uniform items include:
– Enlisted Rank Insignia
– Hexagonal name tag
– American hexagonal lapel badge for enlisted Guardians
– Distinctive service hat badges for officers and enlisted
– Space Force “Delta, Globe and Orbit” buttons
Below are some examples of some changes to the grooming and uniform policy:
– Fit the mustache restrictions to the outer corners of the mouth in a horizontal line (relative to the vertical) and no more than ¼ inch from the end of the corner of the horizontal plane.
– Increase color options for nail and lipstick colors to allow maximum variations for all female skin tones. Approved color palettes provide a wide range of color options
– Allow men to wear discreet concealer/foundation to cover scars/blemishes
– Expand the tattoo policy to match current policies of sister services. These combined policies are the least restrictive yet and allow neck and hand tattoos.
– Provide wear tips for new enlisted Guardian Rank Insignia
Finally, this policy temporarily makes mess dress optional for all officers until Space Force mess dress is available.
The policy note can be accessed here.